Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pictures!



My community had a festival one night, filled with dancing, bonfires, and music. It was a lot of fun! There’s a tribe of people called the Lobi’s in my community and they are known for their xylophone playing. The man in the picture, is a blind xylophone player, he is a phenomenal musician and very entertaining.

My friend Haruna with a freshly killed and plucked duck. He tried to get me to help him pluck it, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it without gagging.
Some of the Junior High school girls that participated in the program. The girls really enjoyed getting to meet and talk with their new mentors.

Since the rainy season has started, it has brought with it some crazy and interesting bugs!


This is a funny picture I took in Wa. There was a bus parked on the side of the road, that had a bunch of goats (alive) piled on top of the roof, being ready to be transported somewhere. P.S. This isn’t anything uncommon, on many occasions, I’ve seen cars with multiples cows on top of roofs being transported to the slaughter house (sad, but true).


My cat. He’s growing so big! He’s great to have around because he keeps the bugs, lizard, and various creature population down, in and around my house.

Some of the village children. They love to have their picture taken.
I’ve gotten many emails asking me how I get my water. So I get my water from a bore hole. It’s a type of well that has a pump, it’s quite deep into the ground and the water is fairly clean, although I still put it through a water purifier. Bore holes are very hard to install in villages, because it can take months to locate a water source (which is pretty much discovered by trial and error; drilling holes in the ground that might seem possible).
This was one of the women’s groups meetings. We were discussing the standards and guidelines under which the term “organic” falls under. There is no word for organic in the local language, so a common term had to be created. The term that was agreed upon is a Waale term that translates to, “Good Farming Practices.”
These are some of the shea nuts. The nuts are encased with a green fruit. The fruit is sweet and has a texture similar to an avocado. The nuts are pounded into shea butter, which can be used for cooking or as a skin moisturizer.



.




3 comments:

The Adventures of Seth and Emma said...

SINAE!! we miss you sweetie! :) Love your cat pics and I am not even a cat person! I wish Mia would catch bugs that come inside for us, instead she yelps and makes other weird noises to alert us to remove them for her! :) Do you need anything over there? I will try and send you some letters to your new PO Box. LOVE YOU!!

E. Janine said...

It sounds like you're keeping really busy! I can't believe you've been gone for almost a year! I miss you but am glad to hear you're doing a lot better. :) Oh, and that picture of that bug almost made me hurl.:D

Katie C said...

SINAE!
I am just figuring out how to leave comments.. p.s. i am computer illiterate. Your cat is adorable! And those bugs are huge!
Christina Kels and I are going to send you somthing in the mail at your new PO address. I miss you.