Friday, January 29, 2010

Back!

Greetings Everyone!
So, I was fortunate to be able to go home to the U.S. for the past month and spend Christmas and New Years with family and friends! Thanks mom and dad for putting up with me and my crazy month of rediscovering American culture. I had only been gone for 15 months, but it’s crazy to see how much technology, trends, headlines, tv shows (Jersey Shore?!), and the latest celebrity feuds have changed and evolved, since I’ve been gone! I’m not ashamed to say that I got to live like it was my last month to live when I was home, going to see Avatar in IMAX (even though I got nauseated during the fight sequences), eating whole boxes of pizza to myself, just for lunch, and spending every moment with the people I love and care about. Thanks everyone for making the month so memorable! With all the fun that I was having, thoughts of Ghana seemed distant and blurry. Realizing that I would eventually have to go back, crossed my mind from time to time, but it didn’t really hit me until the third week. I was actually, looking forward to going back, and was missing my friends in my village. The journey from the airport in Accra to my village took 4 days, it was arduous (I had 2 heavy luggages and i heavy backpack), tiring, and dusty, which made me miss the comforts of traveling in America, but as soon as I stepped foot in my village, the community embraced me and made me feel home again. I missed them, but I didn’t realize they missed me too!
So, I’m back to work and I have a busy last 10 months ahead. I hope to bring some bicycles to my village, raise more awareness about malnutrition with children under 5 years old, initiate programs concerning malaria, sanitation, and HIV/AIDS, and also help some women’s groups in two churches that I am involved with with some income generation projects and micro-financing. I’ll try better at posting more entries as updates come along.
Until then, mene kata bio (God watch over you until tomorrow)
Peace!

Oh P.S., for those of you who may be wondering. YES, the weight contest was as good as mine!

2 comments:

Serena said...

Grommit! I can't help but think of the castration story... I'm glad he's all better now and has his mommy back!

Miss you dearly Sinae! I love all the adorable babies and their beautiful clothes!

More to come in an email.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Serena

Anonymous said...

I love your writing.